Monday, June 4, 2007

Rice and Roasted Vegetables


I like the simplicity of eating just rice with roasted vegetables. If you add a protein-rich legume to the mix, you have a complete, healthy meal. Tonight we roasted chick-peas and edamame (soybeans) with sweet potatoes and served them with rice, cooked in vegetable broth and seasoned with turmeric and black pepper to taste.
You can really use any combination of vegetables and seasonings, but we used this tonight:
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in small cubes
1 15 oz. can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
about 6 to 8 oz frozen edamame, thawed and shelled
crushed red pepper, crushed garlic cloves and paprika to taste
Roast in a 400 degree F. oven (start the sweet potatoes first for about 10 or 15 minutes) until everything has a bit of golden brown color.

Simple and delicious... and look at all that healthy color!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just adore roasted veggies of any kind, and rice is my favorite grain. This dish looks very yummy.

Marcie said...

Grace, I love rice too. It is very humble, but filling and satisfying. I'm glad you came by to see what was for dinner! :)

Nan said...

This looks so good. What are some other veggies you might suggest roasting? Garlic comes first to my mind.

What kind of rice did you use?

Marcie said...

Nan, Since writing this we have also done zucchini. We just put it in a few minutes before everything else is done, as it doesn't take long. In the past, we've done potatoes (Yukon Gold are a favorite), red peppers, even nice firm tomatoes. Garlic would be so good whole, though I usually crush some into the oil and seasonings. My theory is to try any vegetable that is commonly in the house at least once. If it isn't the greatest, I won't try it again. Right now, though, I can't think of any that have been a complete flop (though my almost 8 year old son didn't like the zucchini.)

I think (looking at the photo) that I used long grain white rice, but I use brown rice most of the time. If I'm in a hurry, I'm glad to have some white rice on hand!

I have some food photos for meals that I haven't blogged about yet. I'm finding less time to be online now that I'm outdoors so much of the time! *grin*