Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Tofu and Broccoli Fried Rice


Ingredients:

* 2 TBSP Olive or Canola Oil
* 1 medium onion
* 5 cloves garlic
* 8 oz chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
* Approx 1 tablespoon sesame seeds or Asian Grill Seasoning Mix
* 3 or 4 cups already cooked Rice
* 8 oz Extra Firm Tofu
*Soy Sauce

Directions:
Cut the tofu in small cubes. Splash with a small amount of oil (maybe 2 teaspoons), soy sauce and seasonings (cayenne, paprika, black pepper, etc.) Bake at 400 degree for about 20 minutes until golden brown and "toasty."
Saute onions in oil over medium heat until translucent. Add in garlic and broccoli. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or Asian Grill Seasonings. Stir until garlic is tender. Cover with rice. Sprinkle with Soy Sauce (and any other seasonings that appeal to you!) You can add 1/2 to 1 cup veggie broth with 2 tablespoons cornstarch stirred into it to thicken if you wish, or leave it as is without a sauce.

Remove the tofu from the oven and toss gently into the fried rice.

Mix it up: Add more color and flavor with carrots, and red pepper, and scallions. Or add Asian flair with water chestnuts, bamboo shoots or bean sprouts. This is a vegan version, so there is no egg, but you can certainly add it. We vary the seasonings and vegetable ingredients based on what we happen to have on hand and be in the mood for. I often use left-over rice so the quantity varies.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Yummy! I am definitely adding this to my weekly menu!

Marcie said...

Rapunzel, I just bought fresh broccoli and tofu so we could have this again. Then, I discovered that Limerick used up the Asian Grill Seasoning, so I guess I'll improvise on seasonings. That's always fun anyway! Hope it works out well. I find this to be one of the ways that tofu-sceptics actually will enjoy some tofu. *grin*

Kathie said...

Just yummy - thanks for sharing.... I can't wait to try it, I'm thinking it'd be great lunch leftovers...

Marcie said...

Katie, It is! I always try to make enough so that we can have it for lunch the next day too (or a late night snack! *grin*) Thanks for visiting my kitchen! :)